Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Examination (VITEEE 2016)is an annual entrance exam conducted by Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT). Established in 1984, VIT is one of the leading institutes in south India which offers a wide range of courses in engineering like chemical engineering, civil engineering, electronics and electrical engineering, information technology, production and industrial engineering, and many more. The entrance exam is open to all the interested candidates born on or after 1 July, 1994 and have studied full time formal education. The candidate must have scored 60% or above in physics, mathematics, chemistry to be eligible to appear for the exam. For the students belonging to ST/SC and those hailing from Jammu and Kashmir and North Eastern States, the minimum score should be 50% in the same subjects. Click here to check the VITEEE 2016 Exam Dates.
They are nearly 5,000 B.Tech seats for which approximately 2 lakh candidates appear every year in VITEEE. The application form will be available in December 2015. The exam is conducted in April every year. The entire admission process, right from the filling of application forms to issuance of admit card will be conducted only in the online mode. So, the candidates should be ready with a registered mobile number and an e-mail id for the contact.
The exam pattern this year is the same except the additional subject of English which has been allotted 5 marks. All in all, in this computer based test there will be 125 questions out of which physics, chemistry and mathematics have been allotted 40 marks each and the rest 5 marks are for English. The questions are of objective type. The duration of the exam is 180 minutes. The good news is that there will be no negative marking for wrong answers.
The exam syllabus for this year is available on the VIT’s official website. Broadly, it consists of physics, chemistry, and mathematics for the non- medical aspirants, and medical students will have biology in place of mathematics. The important topics are-
- Physics– Topics like optics, current electricity, electrostatics, nuclear physics, properties of matter etc. are of prime importance.
- Chemistry– In this, the candidate must prepare topics like atomic structure, p, d and f block elements, electrochemistry, thermodynamics, alcohols and ethers to score well in this section.
- Mathematics– In this section, the must do topics include vector algebra, differential calculus, probability, complex numbers and integral calculus and its applications.
- Biology– taxonomy, genetics and evolution, reproduction, biodiversity, ecology and environment, biotechnology and its applications, cell and molecular biology are do or die topics in this section.
Finally, these are a few tips to help you excel in VITEEE 2016 –
- BASIC CONCEPTS FIRST– follow your textbook religiously whichever board you belong to. For CBS, the NCERT textbooks are a great help for cracking the exam.
- SPEED AND ACCURACY– As the exam is a bit lengthy, so you cannot afford to be slow. So, while practicing, keep in mind that the accuracy is achieved with a considerable speed.
- SHORT NOTES– Make short notes that are handy, they will help you greatly in the last-minute preparation.
- ATTEMPT 100%– As there is no negative marking, try to attempt 100%. Even if you are lagging behind, there is no harm in trying your luck.
- PRACTICE QUESTION PAPERS– After you are done with the basic concepts, do solve some previous year’s question papers as well as few sample papers. The more question bank you try your hands on, the easier it gets.
Finally, stay calm and composed during the exam. You are all set to come up with flying colors. All the best! J