After toying with the idea of starting something of her own, Preeti Dua, the then-30-year-old teacher and mother of one, found the perfect business venture that matched her professional skills – running a preschool franchise. It was the summer of 2004. A year later, she bought the franchise of a popular chain of preschools, Euro Kids. By 2012, she was operating three preschools and was looking at a turnover of Rs. 1.5 crores in the coming financial year.
According to Dua, a preschool franchise was a ready model and she knew exactly where to invest in, given it was her maiden project. Quite interestingly, Dua isn’t alone. In 2012, Economic Times reported that lakhs of aspiring business-people found the prospect of running a popular franchise lucrative. It not only gave them the space to run an enterprise on their own but also enabled them to enjoy the benefits of a nationally-recognized franchise.
A 2012 study report of Franchise India states that franchising in India is growing at the rate of 30 per cent every year and is worth around Rs. 1.2 lakh crores. In the last one decade, the pre-school industry in India has grown by giant leaps and bounds. Parents, today, are more concerned about their children’s education and are willing to provide them the best possible education right from the start.
Therefore, the preschool franchise business, in particular, has become a bankable prospect. So if you are looking at starting a preschool, it is important for you to gauge the preschool franchises that will yield maximum profits in the future. Here’s a list of top 5 preschool franchises in India that can help you kickstart a booming business in education:
- Tree House: This franchise recently grabbed the position of the fastest emerging preschool franchise in western parts of India in a study by Economic Times. In addition to this, Fastcompany, an online preschool rating service, rated it among the top 10 innovative companies of the country. If you are planning to sign up as its franchisee, then the total investment required to do so is under Rs. 10 lakhs and the minimum floor space required is 1000 square feet.
- Kidzee: It is Asia’s largest chain of preschools and has more than 900 schools in over 330 cities. In 2010, Kidzee secured the honour of being India’s franchisor of the year among all sectors. The money required to invest in this is between Rs. 5 to 10 lakhs and the required floor area is 2500 square feet.
- Euro Kids: It has the biggest preschool network in the country. You need to do an investment of at least Rs. 5 lakhs to sign up as its franchisee. It has more than 900 units in all of India. The space required to open a Euro Kids school is 2000 square feet.
- Hello Kids: This franchise has zero royalty fees and this makes it the most profitable preschool franchise business. In India, it takes about Rs. 10 lakhs to open a Hello Kids preschool and a minimum floor area of 1000 square feet.
- Shemrock: It is one of the oldest preschools in India. Today, Shemrock has over 175 branches in various cities. You need a minimum investment of Rs. 10 lakhs to sign up as its franchisee. The floor space required is 2500 square feet.